Formby Power Station
Barbara Yorke -
It ceased producing electricity in 1946, after which time power was obtained from Clarence Dock Power Station. It remained empty until 1955 when it was taken over by Ross Insulation Products who remained until 1978. In the 1980s it converted to making a variety of moulded plastic products, etc. At this period it was described as an “active Formby Factory surrounded by fields a mile from the dunes and shore, standing solid and foursquare against the winds of the Irish Sea”. No claim to glamour but certainly a building of character, achievement and a little bit of history. What a marvellous centre for an industrial museum it would have made!
Reference ‘Seaport to Seaside’ by John W. Gahan 1985 (A copy of this book is in the FCS History Library).